Monday, July 13, 2009

Red Bull Flugtag

OK. So I'm going to spill the beans about my current project. I know what you are thinking, "Yeah, what else is new? Don't you have a new pet project every few months?" Yes I do. I've joked with my co-worker, we'll call him Mr. Jabronee, that we are the equivalent of Phineas and Ferb. If you don't have young children and/or constantly watch the Disney Channel, hit the link to see what I am talking about.
 
The latest idea is to enter the Red Bull Soapbox Derby. I had never heard of it until Mr. Jabronee brought it to my attention. I had seen the Red Bull Flugtag event, where people create a flying machine and shoot off a ramp into water. Soapbox derby is the street version of that. Points are awarded for creativity, showmanship and speed. So, being fast is not the only objective and costumes are incouraged. I think we have a pretty good idea right now.
 
The first stage is getting accepted. We put in our application this week, which is comprised of a sketch of our mean machine. They only accept 40-50 applicants. So, it is a bit of an honor to: spend money making a vehicle & costumes, risk your well-being in a home-made racer, and make a fool of yourself. If we get accepted, you'll be the first to know.

No comments: