Friday, July 10, 2009

UFC 100

Tons of coverage for this event. It's pretty cool to see stories in the mainstream media about the UFC and MMA. Unfortunately, it usually centers around Lesnar, who is the cross-over WWE star. In hindsight it was a good move by Dana to bring in Lesnar. The heavyweight division was sorely lacking in talent and like it or not Lesnar has a broad appeal that brings in casual fans.
 
Who do I like this weekend? Mir, Hendo and Alves. I'm going to be pretty partial in all my picks, since I'm basically going with the fighters I like, versus guys I dislike (GSP excluded)
 
I have a hard time accepting Lesnar for all his hype, yet he's a guy that nearly made the Minnesota Vikings on a tryout before he decided on MMA. So the guy is a monster, but an athletic one at that. The most entertaining thing is that he's build like a real world Hulk. His neck looks like the Ram-Man character from He-Man, or Juggernaut from X-men. That said, I like Mir. I don't doubt Brock's smashing power, but Mir should be able to dodge/out-strike Brock on the feet. If it gets beyond the first round, it's all Mir. Frankie should have a gameplan to take Brock into the later rounds and pick him apart, then sub him out when a tired Lesnar goes for a takedown.
 
Hendo seems to be better than Bisping in all but age. I wouldn't argue that Hendo's last few fights were on the boring side. But after losses to Rampage and Silva, I don't blame him for grinding out wins. You lose too many in a row and you're done in the UFC. I guess it's a question of whether Hendo is too old for the sport or not. But the icing on the cake was how much of a "douchebag" Bisping really is. I myself am more of a Hendo-type. So, seeing the overly animated and antagonistic Bisping for 8 weeks was annoying. Smash that wanker's face in Hendo!
 
GSP vs Alves is the true match-up on this card. GSP is one of the best pound-for-pound guys in the world right now. He's demolished a lot of guys (except for Matt "Rocky/Lucky" Serra), and seems to be getting better with every fight. Along with that, GSP has gotten bigger with each fight and pretty much over powered his opponent, albeit with a ton of skill and technique as well. Alves is a true test. The guy will destroy you in the clinch and has heavy hands. I don't think Georgie will throw Alves around like his former opponents. I hope to see GSP put to a real test, and hopefully Alves lands a big shot within the 5 rounds.
 
That said, it's MMA and one punch can end a guy's night. I'm notorious for bad picks. But I recognize that I tend to pick from my heart not my brain. It's more fun for me that way.
 
 

No comments: