Friday, July 31, 2009

X Games

Took a day off yesterday and went to the X Games. Very cool. They had moto-x practice, FMX jumping practice, Rally car runs, & mens halfpipe practice at Home Depot Center. It was my first time there and I can see why they have had X Games there for so many years in a row now. The place gets set-up like a mini-Olympic venue. There're separate areas for the halfpipe, moto-x & rally car, street and park. All of the events were more impressive in-person, especially the FMX jumping. 50-foot backflips are way more impressive live and in-person. Also the sense of scale for the halfpipe skating is better. Those guys are getting serious air. Rally car translates well to TV, but I got to stand next to the burnout corner (basically, a U-turn that the cars drift around) and you don't get the tire smoke and rubber smell on TV.
 
I also went to the Staples Center events that afternoon. I've been dying to see the mega-ramp in-person and finally did. That sucker is wild. Its cool to have a better sense of scale with the ramp indoors. These guys are basically launching down from the cheap seats. The ramp is at a 60-degree angle. I'm glad I experienced it. I took a ton of pictures with a new camera we JUST got. I didn't even consider that it would be delivered in time. The camera came within 48-hours of being ordered, must have been out of a local warehouse. Expect a link to pictures soon.

No comments: