Thursday, April 22, 2010

Aldo vs Faber

I'm very interested to see how the first WEC PPV goes. At first blush, I figured it to fail miserably. But, I also underestimated the length the UFC was going to go to support the PPV. Like the UFC PPVs, there was a Countdown show on Spike. Dana did video blogs. The UFC website has Aldo vs Faber video and articles. Even Joe Rogan and what's his name are doing the fight commentary. The line between UFC and WEC is getting very blurred. Basically, it is a UFC PPV without the UFC name attached.
 
I have mixed feelings about this. I think the lighter weight fighters put on a more consistent show and if you have to put money down to watch a fight, it a better bet to go with the WEC. But having the WEC fights free on Versus like being part of a secret club. You were getting fights as exciting as the UFC, but with lesser know guys that were underpaid. I felt like a true MMA fan, watching the WEC. I'm glad that this may finally bring in some money to the fighters, but I fear that the UFC will simply absorb the most talented fighters as UFC lightweights. The WEC will probably remain a lightweight proving ground.
 
The card itself is interesting. Aldo vs Faber should be fast paced, if nothing else. Faber is one of the most dynamic fighters around. His personality and flair in and out of the ring made the WEC what it is today. Yet, Aldo is a badass. The guy has destroyed his opponents. Very exciting and dynamic too, but with a more technical/martial style vs. Faber's wrestling/Tarzan style. Aldo seems like Anderson Silva in a smaller package. Aldo is also a Black House guy, so the connection is literal. I think someone's getting finished. I'm afraid it will be Faber. But I'm still pulling for the California Kid.
 
Cerrone vs Henderson should be good. I didn't see the first fight, which was last year's Fight of the Year? There was a time when Directv dropped Versus, and I missed this fight. I don't see a reason why this fight won't be good as well.
 
Mike Brown, Antonio Banuelos, Leonard Garcia, Chad Mendes are all fighting. Too bad I'm going to be out of town. I hope I can get to a sports bar that carries this fight!
 
 
 

No comments: