Monday, April 12, 2010

UFC 112

Weird card. The big story was Anderson Silva, once again. Dana White was pissed about the Spider dancing around and mocking Demian Maia. It was quite a spectacle. I didn't have a problem with Silva punching and kneeing Maia in the face, while clowning around. And if Anderson had finished the fight, it would have been a moot point. Finishing a fight cures everything.
 
That brings me to the Hughes vs Gracie snorefest. I didn't think there was a ton of action. Good legs kicks by Hughes, but I excected it to hit the ground, sooner than later. Some ground and pound vs jiu jitsu. Both guys figured to be the better striker.?! It just wasn't what I expected or wanted. But, Hughes finished the fight and all was good.
 
Just as confusing was BJ Penn going to a decision with Edgar. Frankie did a great job, but I don't understand Penn's gameplan. I thought BJ won 3 of the 5 rounds, but it was very close. BJ didn't do anything to keep it from being a close decision. I don't buy that crap about having to beat the champ. You can decision the Champ, in a close fight; I'm OK with that. Penn should have done more, plain and simple. I'm going with an injured knee as his excuse. We'll see.
 
Anderson Silva made a mockery of the sport, running from Maia in the later rounds. I simply don't understand what goes through the guy's head. Plenty of people were pissed about the fight. Dana White was furious. White said something about making it up to the fans. And he had plenty on the line with Arab oil money watching the fight. Silva might have hurt the future of the UFC. The thing is, I'm still a fan of Silva. I don't know why. That makes even less sense.
 
 

No comments: