Monday, April 12, 2010

Playoffs

Well, it all came down to the last game, overtime, and a shootout for the Flyers to get the 8th playoff spot in the East, over the Rangers. Do I like the idea of a skill contest determining the outcome? Not really. But both of these teams had 81 other games to keep it from coming to that. As long as the playoffs don't have a shootout, I'm fine.
 
I'm gonna put down my predictions, with as little commentary as possible. I'll have to re-adjust my picks after Round 1 anyway, since I ALWAYS pick a few underdogs.
 
EAST
Caps vs. Habs. Caps in 5. Ovenchicken and Co. are built to outscore the other team, plain and simple.
 
Devils vs. Flyers. Devils in 6. Flyers faded badly, and New Jersey is my Eastern Finalist.
 
Sabres vs. Bruins. Sabres in 5. Bruins can't score. Miller won't help.
 
Penguins vs. Senators. Senators in 7. Senators will find a way. Elliott will be sharp.
 
WEST
Sharks vs. Avs. Sharks in 5. San Jose loves to choke. But Colorado is playing too poorly to allow that to happen... this round.
 
'Hawks vs. Preds. Hawks in 6. Preds are quite the story. Chicago has mediocre goaltending. Blackhawks will still be too much.
 
Canucks vs. Kings. Kings in 7. LA will pull off the upset. Kings go deep this year.
 
Coyotes vs. Red Wings. Red Wings in 6. Cindarella wakes up in the first round. A great year for Phoenix, but injuries and badluck are over for Detroit.
 
Main storylines. I like the Caps and Devils in the East. The Capitals remind me of the run and gun Oilers teams of the 80's that just outscored people. But like those teams, I think it takes them a couple kicks at the Playoff can to get it right. Devils play smart hockey. I see them, once again, proving that defense and team play win in the playoffs. Sharks will fold sooner or later, but it's easy to bet against a team. Red Wings are the hot.
 
I honestly like the Kings. They
 
 
 

No comments: