Thursday, April 1, 2010

Clash of the Titans

One of my favorite movies of all time was re-made and comes out tomorrow. Clash of the Titans is one of my single biggest movie influences growing-up. Well, obviously behind Star Wars and surprisingly ahead of Indiana Jones. (Indiana Jones was under-appreciated at the time) But in my youth, I had a great love for all things mythical and monsterous thanks to this movie. I loved being freaked-out by the Medusa and the epic proportions of the scorpions and Kraken. To this day, my movie of choice is: action adventure, horror, and anything with giant/mutant/hybrid monsters in it. It's all from Clash of the Titans, I'm sure.
So, I've known about this movie being produced for some time. Different websites would send out teaser photos and concept images. I have to say I was disappointed. I thought the Kraken looked too much like another monster (I can't place right now). Everything was different. Pegasus was black instead of white. The Stegean Witches looked like wraiths with Terminator glasses. The hero looked short and dirty.
After some time to really think about it, this movie couldn't and shouldn't be ANYTHING like the original. Stop motion monsters? A hero wearing a white dress that rode a white horse? A "modern" version of this movie, too much like the original, would be horrible. Just because Clash of the Titans had a great impact on me, doesn't mean that it's not totally campy and misplaced by today's standards. I'll always love it but it doesn't have to be reproduced.
I've come to terms with the remake. I'm excited to see it. It seems to still have all the basic elements that made Clash of the Titans iconic. Mortals, Gods, Medusa, Kraken, other monsters. And maybe improved by removing Bubo, the stupid robot owl. I want to see it. I'm sure it's good. But there are some experiences that only the eyes of a pre-teen can really appreciate & love.

No comments: