Thursday, April 29, 2010

End of Round 1.

There were only two game 7's in the first round of the playoffs, with the Capitals getting bounced last night. The Wings take on the Sharks tonight, so no waiting around for Round 2.
 
I have done horribly in my picks. 3-5. Quite a few surprises in these playoffs.
 
EAST
With the Canadiens win, I go 0-4 in the East. What the hell happened? I really liked the Devils to go deep this year but they looked horrible against the Flyers. Brodeur is losing his playoff mystique. Philly lost a few key players in that series, so I doubt that they go on to the Conference final. The Bruins got things together, much like Philly, after limping into the playoffs. Penguins had a tough time with the Senators. I admit that was a purely homer call. But Penguins can't get away with playing like that against the Canadiens.
 
WEST
Called the Sharks, Red Wings and Blackhawks. But the Sharks made it look much harder than I expected. Kings lost, but they definitely have a good young team now. I'm still pulling for the Wings, but it was tough to see the Coyotes' not-of-nowhere season come to an end.
 
The absolute biggest surprise was the Caps losing to Jaroslav Halak. I am totally taking away any credit from the Canadiens, even though they played a great team in front of him. But shutting down the #1 team, highest scoring team, most dynamic team, was an amazing feat. Beside coming back from a 1-3 series hole, they kept Washington to 1.0 GAA while doing it. In the Habs wins, Halak had a 0.971 save percentage and 1.1 GAA while seeing 35+, 40+, and 50+ shots. Simply an amazing case of a goaltender stealing away a series. I love it!

No comments: