Monday, April 19, 2010

BJ Penn - Why I Fight

So, I've known since last Monday, that BJ Penn is coming into Torrance for a book signing. It is one of the last stops on his book tour, "Why I Fight: The Belt is just an Accessory." I got onto my MMA buddy about going with me for the photo-op, but he called-in sick today. We hit the Randy Couture signing, but he missed Vitor Belfort.
These things are very much risk/reward. If you go too late, you have the privilege of waiting in line, but still miss out all together. I saw Belfort on my lunch hour, waited 10 minutes and actually got to talk to the guy. I waited several hours for Randy and nearly missed him. The problem is that the more popular fighters command big lines. I like Penn, but probably not enough to wait in line for hours, by myself. The other problem is that this is the only LA area stop for Penn. The other California stops are San Diego and San Jose. Couture had multiple stops in the LA area to take the pressure off one store. Finally, there is quite a large population of transplant Hawaiians in the South Bay. He has plenty of fans in the immediate area. I expect madness.
The Borders in question is pretty close to my work. Even if I have to go solo, I plan on checking out the extent of the line. If it's out the door, forget it. I like the novelty of getting a picture with these guys. I am always amazed at how big they look on camera, and not so much in real life. But at the end of the day. I'm more of a fan of the sport itself and not a specific fighter.
It is just like Disneyland; pay too much money, wait too long, all for a couple seconds of nothing. It's really all about the anticipation. If I had my right hand man with me, we could stand around and talk MMA and make fun of ourselves and the other idiots waiting in line. When it's more of an event, you can make it fun.
There aren't too many fighters that I want to wait in line by myself to meet. Now if Gina Carano has a signing...
 

No comments: