Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fallen Heroes

I had a bit of a rough sports weekend. Shane Carwin couldn't close the deal after smashing Lesnar for 5 minutes. I love Carwin for his ability and more for his demeanor. Calm, confident and respectful. I was sure that the anti-Lesnar was taking home that belt. But, he'll be back and I'm still behind him. Kobayashi wasn't even in the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest this year. Contract dispute? Without Takeru there was no contest and Chestnut coasted to victory with 14 less dogs than last year. To make matters worse, Kobayashi was arrested trying to go on-stage after it was over. The whole situation leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Lastly, I got word that Bob Probert passed away. What a great pugilist and team guy. He had some epic battles on the ice. I have him way up there with my favorite fighters of the NHL: McSorley, Grimson, Domi. These were the baddest guys around in my mind. But the bittersweet news was that Probert had finally beaten some substance abuse demons. R.I.P. Bob Probert.
 

No comments: