Wednesday, September 16, 2009

NHL pre-season

There are several things I expect when watching NHL pre-season games:
small crowds, seeing 4 different goalies, and several fights. So,
being in attendance at the Kings/Coyotes game last night I was a bit
disappointed. The teams didn't split the goaltending duties halfway
through the game. I knew that Jason LaBarbara was in town (he's on the
Coyotes now) and was hoping to see him play against his former team.
It didn't happen, but the fights did. Some of these guys know either
"job" and have only a few pre-season games to showcase it. So the
pugilists within each organizations system go to work. Nothing too
exciting though.

I guess it was a split squad game. So, half of the Kings went to
Arizona and played on the same night. It was weird hearing that the
Kings lost, while I watched a game that they won. Same day split, but
in two different cities. Wild, but very cool for more players to see
ice time.

The biggest attraction was having the whole family there. I've taken
my kids to games for years, but kinda forget that toddlers don't
remember much about a game they slept through as an infant. So my
3-year old son was wide eyed and taking the whole thing in. I never
realized what a visual and audio overload all the scoreboard and
lighting can be. There are video billboards that surround the rink,
the main scoreboard, spotlights, lasers, and loud music. He normally
loves the Zambonis at the local ice rinks, but he was amazed at how
small they looked from the cheap seats. Meanwhile my daughter was
really into rooting. "We're cheering for the black team, right?" She
was clapping and cheering at random times, but her enthusiasm couldn't
be contained. I think it was a sugar rush from the kettle corn.

No comments: