Monday, September 14, 2009

TV

I have to admit that I've become more of a TV person lately. The new
season has started and my TIVO is filling up fast. I was pretty
resistant to reality TV at first because it is stupid. I guess it just
took a while to get the right type of stupid people for me to watch,
namely sports and food. My guilty pleasures? Golf Channel's Big Break,
Spike's The Ultimate Fighter, Travel Channel's Man v Food & MTV's
Nitro Circus. I don't want to see people dance, sing, race, get
punk'd, or survive. But I will watch people golf, fight in a cage, eat
food in a contest, and do insane stunts.

Specifically, there are several highlights this week, mostly UFC
related. Tonight is the countdown to UFC 103. All these shows are the
same, yet I still watch them. Wednesday is big. Fight Night: Nate Diaz
vs. Melvin Guillard. Followed by TUF 10 w Kimbo. Saturday is UFC 103.

Fight Night also features Gray Maynard vs. Roger Huerta, Carlos Condit
vs. Jake Ellenberger, Nate Quarry vs. Tim Credeur. A lot of these
Fight Night cards are better than the UFC PPVs and they are free.
Could be a good one. I like to watch Diaz, Maynard, Huerta, & Condit.

UFC 103 is a "meh" card to me. It features a catchweight (195 lb) bout
with Rich Franklin vs. Vitor Belfort, and Mirko "Cro Cop" vs. Junior
dos Santos. Franklin always brings it. And dos Santos is a heavyweight
up and comer. But non-championship cards are hard to really get into.
Also featured are: Kampmann vs. Daley, Josh Koscheck vs. Frank Trigg,
Tyson Griffin vs. Hermes Franca. Will be intersting to see how Trigg
does and I'm a Griffin fan. More than anything it's my monthly excuse
to hit a sportsbar.

No comments: