Monday, November 9, 2009

25-degrees

So, I am something of a food fan. Not your fine dining, wine and
cheese type-dining. I'm talking about promotional fast food and greasy
spoons. More along the lines of Man v Food than anything else. I had
previously done a series on Promotional Fast Food of the Week. But, I
am actually trying to eat a little healthier. I still indulge in the
weekly cheesesteak, cheeseburger, hot wings, or pizza, etc.

Some guys at work had recommended a place in downtown Huntington
Beach. 25-degrees. There were rave reviews about the burgers and onion
rings at this place. So, I checked it out with the wife on a Date
Night last weekend. We walked into a casual and dark bar; this place
wasn't even a restaurant, so-to-speak. I was going through their beer
list and nothing noteworthy was staring back at me. I did see Guiness
at the bottom, but it was a Guiness milkshake. WTF?! I had to order
it. It was way too interesting to pass up. And yet I'm NOT a milkshake
guy, I don't even eat ice cream that often or really at all. It turned
out to be pretty good. A lot of chocolate, but a Guiness flavor mixed
in there pretty naturally. I ate the whole thing.

Then came the burger. They had a number of cheeses and toppings to
create your own, but I went with their #3. It was a green chili,
chipotle, jack, and I added jalapeno bacon. I noticed too late that
there was a hatch green chili option. This place was focused on the
cheese. It described the type, flavor, origin of each cheese. For
example, fumunda: white, mild & smoky, cow. They take cheese very
serious. It kinda scared me.

It was a great burger. I got mine medium and it came extra juicy, but
not a rare kind of juicy. Perfect. The bun was this huge
kaiser-looking roll, that was actually not bready, but mostly air. It
helped make the burger. The only thing I would change is the
"chipotle". It was a mayo-ish sauce; tasty but not something that I
have to get again. I will experiment with a different sauce next time.

The onion rings looked homemade. Nothing too special. A little on the
"thin" side. They turned out to be really good, too. I'm not an onion
ring guy to begin with. Probably because I don't like thick onions.
These babies were some of the thinnest onions used in 'rings I've ever
seen. Pretty much the perfect onion ring for me.

So, while this place was a bit on the high-end scale as far as my
usual dining goes, I'm looking forward to the next visit. It just
happened to be that eveything was my style and suited my tastes.
That's why this post is so long. I loved eating at this place.

No comments: