Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Shootout

There have been many changes to the NHL, most of them brought-in since
the lockout. Two line passes are allowed, goaltenders are not allowed
to play the puck behind the net in those trapeziodal shaped areas,
obstruction penalties are enforced, and there are no ties. A tie game
was always one of the wackier elements to the NHL. But it worked, in
my opinion. Should they start using 4 periods, because other sports
have 4 quarters? 3 periods and two intermissions make hockey what it
is. I am also bummed that they went with conventional East/West
divisional names and Western, Central, Northeast etc., conference
names. Who names divisions and conferences with names like Wales,
Campbell, Norris, Smythe, Patrick, Adams? The NHL, that's who. Well,
used too. I think that an attempt to appeal to "the average Joe" has
effectively eliminated the rich history of the game, while garnering
no extra fans and disappointing true fans. I'm going on a bit of a
tangent.

My original point was that I'm not a fan of the shootout. I will get
out of my seat to watch this breakaway contest as much as the next
guy. But hockey is a team game, it makes no sense to have an
individual skill contest decide games and ultimately a team's playoff
contention. Just as it would make no sense to have a 3-point contest,
involving only 3 players from each team, to settle a tie after the
first overtime, in the NBA.

That said, the Kings have back-to-back shootout wins. What seems more
like a successful roadtrip? Going 3-2 or 1-2-2? Meh. I'm still not a
shootout fan.

No comments: